During the current COVID-19 pandemic, there is great uncertainty regarding the resumption of activities related to hockey. As this an unprecedented and rapidly evolving public health and safety issue, we will take our direction from Public Health Authorities and Hockey Canada with respect to the resumption of activities. As such, it is necessary to make adjustments and accommodations to many elements of our operations, and notification will be provided to the membership on an ongoing basis as they arise and are clarified. At this time all coach qualification clinics are suspended until further notice.
In light of this, the OMHA has been taking steps to identify qualification maintenance opportunities for those coaches whose qualifications expire on August 31st, 2020
that can be completed by maintaining social distancing.
The communications below were sent to OMHA coaches on March 7th with the goal of identifying their options for renewal and maintenance. Depending on the coach’s current qualification status they would have received one of the following communications:
• Coach 2 Trained
• Coach 2 Certified
• Development 1 Trained
• Development 1 Certified
• Development 1 Certified Legacy
We wanted to share these communications with our member associations with goal of assisting them in answering questions they may be receiving from their coaches.
1) Coach 1 – Intro to Coach does not have a process to move from TRAINED to CERTIFIED.
2) Coach 1 – Intro to Coach does not have an expiry date.
3) Only coaches who hold a CERTFIED status at the Coach 2 – Coach Level, Development 1 or High Performance 1 level can obtain Professional Development (PD) points towards renewing their qualification.
4) Coach refresher clinics are no longer offered and are not an option for coaches looking to renew their qualification expiry date.
5) Development 1 Certified Legacy coaches are coaches who attended and passed a Development 1 clinic BEFORE July 1st, 2014.
We have also provided a list of Professional Development opportunities to those coaches who are seeking to obtain PD points from home.
Coaches can complete these modules through their Locker profile and earn Professional Development (PD) points towards the renewal of their qualification. The chart below identifies the courses available, length of each course, PD points offered and cost:
Coaches can also use the “Self Report” function through their Locker profile to report Active Years of Coaching and Self-Directed Learning (read a book, watch a video etc.). A coach can receive 5 PD points (1/year) for being active as a coach and an additional 3 PD points for reporting self-directed learning.
If you have any questions, please reach out to the OMHA office.