We recognize that it can be expensive to play hockey. We want to ensure that every child who wants to play hockey has the opportunity to play hockey. There are organizations in Ontario which assist children to play organized sports such as hockey.
Programs that are available for you to apply for assistance are listed below.
KID FIRST FUND
The Whitchurch-Stouffville Minor Hockey Association established the Kids First Fund in 2011 to provide assistance for local children who wanted to play hockey, but were prevented from doing so by family financial circumstances. The fund can cover registration fees and equipment costs for qualified families.
Kids First Fund webpage
CANADIAN TIRE JUMPSTART PROGRAM
Canadian Tire Jumpstart is a community-based charitable program that helps kids in financial need participate in organized sports and recreation activities such as hockey.
Canadian Tire Jumpstart
- Applicants must be 5 to 18 years old
- Funding up to $200 per child is available
- A maximum of one program per child is allowed per season
- Funding is available for different members of the same family during the same season
- Funding approval is dependent on the financial situation of each child and will be determined by the Jumpstart Committee
KIDSPORT ONTARIO FUND
KidSport is a grass roots Canadian non-profit organization that provides support to under-resourced children and youth 18 years of age and under by removing financial barriers that prevent them from playing organized sport.
- The KidSport grant covers up to $250 per child, per calendar year, to go towards registration fees and personal sports equipment.
- Children 18 years old and under qualify for KidSport funding.
- Applications must be submitted 45 days prior to activity start date.
- The KidSport Ontario grant covers organized sports that are instructed by qualified coaches and that represent a sustainable sport experience.
NHLPA DREAMS AND GOALS
The NHLPA Goals & Dreams fund is the largest grassroots hockey assistance program in the world. Founded in 1999, Goals & Dreams has contributed over $21 million to grassroots hockey programs and related causes in 25 countries. Through the donation of equipment grants, the program has given more than 60,000 deserving children the opportunity to play hockey and benefit from the sport's commitment to teamwork, discipline and physical fitness.
NHLPA Goals and Dreams Game Changer Award provides grants up to $2,000 to children, families and communities facing unique economic or social challenges.
NHLPA Goals & Dreams